Pastoralist Girls Initiative (PGI) is a NonGovernmental Organization (NGO) registered with Kenya NGOs Coordination Board. The organization was founded in 2001 as a community based organization (CBO) with initial membership of 15 members drawn from former North Eastern Province of Kenya. These were individual community members who were committed to development of the community on voluntary basis. PGI came in to fill a felt gap in championing the plight of pastoralist women and girls especially on matters related to education, food security, human rights including rights to property ownership and economic empowerment. Today, PGI membership has grown to include corporate partners and members of professional bodies who are committed in providing support to strengthen activities geared towards promotion of marginalized women and girl child from pastoralist communities
A pastoralist community that is able to utilize its potential to meet its basic needs and lead a dignified life.
To promote sustainable development by enhancing pastoralist capacities through targeted integrated development programs especially those that target women and the girl child.
- To improve education indicators for pastoralist girls in the target counties;
- To enhance socioeconomic status of pastoralist communities in the target counties by developing alternative sources of livelihood;
- To improve access to quality health care services for pastoralist communities;
- To empower capacity of communities to cope with environmental factors and utilize available resources optimally;
- To work with communities, governments, development partners and other institutions to address cultural, systemic, and social factors that affect the wellbeing of pastoralist communities.
- Integrity and accountability: PGI is committed to ensuring utilization of resources is fully accounted for and that they are used only for the purpose they were meant for;
- Commitment to high standards of quality: Ensuring strict adherence to quality protocols;
- Teamwork and leveraging: Working with others to increase output and foster spirit of collaboration;
- Building on existing structures: PGI works within existing structures especially government structures to deliver her services;
- Efficiency and optimal utilization of resources: Implementing interventions with high impact but with minimal injection of resources;
- Thinking global and acting local: Being aware of the trends and practices in the world but also ensuring only locally acceptable and feasible interventions are adapted.